Archive

Stuff We’ve Made

After a mad dash for emergency wellies back in June because I had none at uni, I was left with a rather drab black pair that were nowhere near as cheerful as my favourite yellow ones (seen here).

With this in mind, I thought I’d give them a lick of paint!

What you’ll need:

A pair of wellies (the colour doesn’t matter, but bear in mind what you’ll be painting on them), acrylic paints, paint brushes, sponges, something to mix paint on (I used old graze boxes), water, a cup of tea (don’t attempt crafts without tea). I also had some glitter paint on hand, but this depends on your design – we always add glitter.

You may find it helpful to draw your design on in a soluble pen, but I was going for a galaxy look as I’m obsessed with all things space related, so I just went for it!

I started with small details like the galaxies and planets using various paintbrushes. Then I added some of the colours with a sponge, along with some white flecks.

Once this had dried I added a layer of glitter paint with a sponge, let this dry and added a second coat. Make sure they’re dry before popping them on your feet!

 

I took these to WOMAD this year and they got a little wear, although we were lucky with the sun! The acrylic held well although the glitter paint was a bit smudgy, which I had anticipated.

What design would you paint on your wellies?

p.s. Before anyone says anything, I know my space is nowhere near to scale or realistic – artistic license!

 

 

Lately I have been looking for handy storage solutions, so today I created one for my ever growing collection of earrings.

I took an old photo frame, sanded it down a little and removed the glass, before putting in some satin and strips of lace.

I attached them with a stapler, but you could use pins, a good glue or even sew them.

As you can see, I have lots of mismatched earrings but I’m hoping this will help me to reunite them!

What storage tips would you recommend?

I’ve wanted to do this for such a long time, and this weekend in a rare post-exam activity lull I finally got around to it!

I took some card and cut letters out (two of each) as well as lots of strips to put them together.

Then I put them together to make 3D letters. I used sellotape, because it was quick and easy, but if you were feeling really enthusiastic you could make little tabs to stick it all together.

Then I used some PVA and a paintbrush and covered them in pieces of newspaper and a few crafty papers. I mostly used the books and arts section of newspapers, and some pictures. Then I popped them on the wall with my new Penguin postcards (ultimate book lust) and created a little haven to read in.

Et voilà!

P.S. Today is Miss Mustard’s birthday, so a lovely cakey day to her!

So, after the last post in which I umm’d and ahh’d over a handle for the mustard bag, I was thinking how impractical it was for uni without one, when a glance at my small satchel brought a flash of inspiration.

This is my every day bag, but is a bit small for all the books I need for a day at uni, no matter how much I love it.The important bit, though, is that the strap is detachable! So, I grabbed my needle and thread and attached some elastic loops to the mustard bag, like so.

And now, I can attach a strap OR carry it around with the smaller one. I’m very pleased, even if I do say so myself!