After a little afternoon at a vintage fair, I wanted to share with you my finds and some of our top tips for vintage shopping.
1. Look at everything before you buy. This is especially helpful if you’re on a budget – today I allowed myself £10 and came out with two special treats.
2. Don’t get conned by ‘vintage’. Check that what you’re looking at actually is old. If it’s not, is the price tag worth it? It’s great that fairs are now often full of handmade stalls and vintage inspired or quirky products (those were what caught my eye today, in fact), just be sure not to pay over the odds.
3. Don’t fall into the sewing machine trap. If you think ‘Oh I could take this in’ or ‘This would be great if I changed the buttons’, that’s ace, but make sure you will actually do it. If it’s going to collect dust at the back of your wardrobe until you take it to a charity shop, leave it for someone else to enjoy!
4. Have a few ideas in mind. I normally have some (or too many!) things that I’m lusting after at the back of my thoughts when I’m vintage or charity shopping so I know what I can and can’t buy. This also goes for keeping an eye out for your favourite vintage brands (mine is definitely Biba).
5. Be friendly! It can never hurt to get a card from some lovely boutiques, and having a little chat might just land you that discount next time you visit!
6. Finally, don’t be afraid to leave empty handed. It’s ok if nothing took your fancy today – perhaps treat yourself to a cup of tea and a cake instead!
Happy treasure hunting!